Do you ever just put something on, and feel AMAZING? And then, naturally, you immediately forget the outfit and the next day whine that you have “nothing to wear”? This is my daily routine. I have about seven years worth of amazing outfits hanging in my closet that I add to almost daily…and yet…I can never figure out what to wear. The struggle is real, people.
Sometimes what I remember and what I forget baffles me. Why is it that I can remember a hundred negative things over the course of the past few years and yet I can’t remember that one amazing thing that happened yesterday? Dang it. I hate that it’s easier to remember the bad stuff. I’m generally a positive, happy person. And yet, my brain can cling to the bad stuff the same as any other human out there.
It’s very easy for me to focus on the things that make me unhappy. The things I want. The things that I haven’t achieved yet. So instead, I thought I’d make a list of the things that make me happy. The things that I love, that bring joy to my life and a smile to my face. Maybe you can do the same! Things I love: (these are a few of my favorite things!)
1. Starbucks cold brew (if you see me on Instagram, you know this already!)
2. Putting pumpkin spice in my coffee in the mornings (not all of these are about coffee, I promise)
3. Really nailing my outfit
4. Getting the house clean and sitting down in the evening to watch a tv show with my husband
5. New episodes of my favorite shows (I love my tv, guys)
6. Grocery shopping with coffee and getting everything I need on the list (coffee again, sorry!)
7. Finding a GREAT find at the thrift store or at any store really. Just finding something that I’ve been looking for or that makes me feel fabulous.
8. My kids singing songs (all originals of course) and reading me their books. Their interpretations of things are hilarious and FAR better than the originals!
9. Fall. I LOVE FALL.
10. Listening to Coldplay. I never, ever get tired of anything they do.
There are a LOT of other things that are even more dear to my heart than these things. But sometimes, I think in times when you’re struggling, it’s helpful to find those small things that bring you joy in your everyday life. Those are the mundane things amongst the struggles and the exhaustion of life that really are like the “frosting” on your days!
This outfit combines two things I love. A fabulous outfit (I feel the greatest in something funky and unexpected) and a super great find. I visited a local thrift store I frequent as often as possible and I picked up this vintage boyscout tee for $4.99! It was definitely one of those fabulous finds for me! I decided that layering and mixing this tee with a slightly quirky outfit was the best way to make sure no one thinks I’m actually trying to look like a scout, so ruffles and plaid it is! I love the combination of the plaid pencil skirt and the floral ruffles, all tied together with this pair of basic riding boots. Everyone needs at least one pair of regular, good old, riding boots in their closet. Because you never know when the rest of your outfit will be SO CRAZY you’ll just need a normal pair of shoes right? (I can hear you laughing at me!)
No matter what’s going on, hope you can find those little things that make you happy amidst everyday life. And that you have a fabulous outfit on at the very least :)